Thursday, June 24, 2010

LottoMAX Lottery Update: Random Number Theory


I posted earlier about duplicate numbers on this LottoMAX quick-pick ticket:



Full disclosure: I'm actually a member of Mensa Canada and I fully understand random number generation and lottery systems. But when I saw the numbers on that ticket I couldn't help writing a campy blog entry about the coincidence.

LottoMAX headquarters responded graciously:
...Quick Pick selections are chosen by a random generator inside the retail terminal, which mixes the numbers available for the game and prints the selections required. With random generation it is not possible to eliminate the numbers previously printed, as this would diminish the randomness of the selections. It is important to remember that every combination of numbers has the exact same chance of being drawn.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions, please e-mail us again or call our OLG Support Centre toll-free at 1-800-387-0098.

Regards,

Kestine
Kestine is 100% correct. Every combination of numbers has the exact same chance of being drawn. Or quick-picked by the random number engine inside every lottery terminal.

The odds of any 7 number (1-49) set appearing randomly are generated thus:

1/49 × 1/48 × 1/47 × 1/46 × 1/45 × 1/44 × 1/43 = 1/432938943360

But hold on! Since the numbers are generated in any order, the 7! factorial comes into play, reducing the odds of any possible LottoMAX number set to 1/85900584.

The real chances of winning with any one number set are 1 in 8.6 million.

However, because LottoMAX tickets sell for three plays for $5, each player's chances of winning are actually closer to 1 in 2.86 million for every $5 played.

Good luck!

1 comment :

karen disch said...

Hello all my viewers My name is carol from USA! I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I was help to win the euro million mega jackpot.I am a woman who believe that one day I will wining the mega jackpot.finally my dreams came through when I email Dr busy and tell him I need the lottery numbers.I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win.But I never know that winning of the lottory was not easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great lottery spell caster,so I decide to give it a try.I contacted him and he did a spell and he give me the winning lottery numbers. believe me when the draw were out I was among winners.I won one million usd dollar with the power of Dr busy truly you are the best . the Dr you can win of money through lottery I am so very happy to meet the great Dr busy,I will be forever be grateful to you dr in-case anyone need his help to your winning lottery numbers too you can contact him drbusyspellhome@gmail.com or call him for your own help to win lottery too or any kind of help you want. post by Karen From Florida city (USA)thanks you all for reading my post by carol. dr bust can cure any kind of sickness with herbal medicine like 1 cancer cure 2 diabetes cure 3 wining of lotto 4 herpes cure 5 warts cure 6 HPV cure 7 get your ex back 8 pregnancy herbal medicine.