Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Bike to Work Week Day 2 - Easy Deal Down Hornby


This morning I test drove the Hornby street bike lane with my helmetcam recording:



This bike lane is much safer than the Dunsmuir Suicide Chute we saw in yesterday's helmetcam: buses are absent, right-lane obstructions are minimal; more road space allows everyone to maneuver more comfortably.

However, at about 0:45+ in the video you'll see me riding down the left lane of Hornby. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm approaching the intersection at Dunsmuir, after which traffic flow notoriously drifts right and obstructs the bike lane with cars turning eastbound onto Pender.

By carefully blasting off on the fresh green light (that postal van ran a stale red, by the way!) I can lead traffic to the foot of Hornby and proceed left, right, or centre without danger of being sideswiped by lane-changing cars.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

That looks pretty scary. I really got a sense of your speed in this one.

Anonymous said...

Empty of bikes as usual.

Anonymous said...

Empty of bikes as usual.